Back in April, I shared 14 Reasons to Have Compost Worms. A few people asked how they could get started with compost worms.
First, you should know that “raising” compost worms, like red wigglers, is VERY, VERY… easy.
As I see it, the vermicomposting cycle goes like this:
- Prepare a compost worm bin.
- Acquire compost worms.
- Maintain a healthy compost worm bin environment.
- Prepare additional compost worm bins right before you harvest the castings and compost.
- Harvest the castings (worm poo) and compost.
- Divide the worm population (a much larger population than you started with) into the fresh compost worm bins.
- Use the castings and compost.
Today, we’ll cover the first step: prepare a compost worm bin.