Apple pie, corn on the cob, potato salad, lemonade, and WATERMELON are all foods synonymous with summer days.
I was thinking about watermelons recently, and decided to do a little research on the produce. I had no idea I would find so many fascinating and bizarre tid-bits. Did you know…
- Watermelons are 92% water.
- Early settlers used watermelons as canteens.
- Watermelons and tomatoes have some of the highest concentrated levels of lycopene (an antioxidant compound and red carotenoid pigment).
- Check out One Perfect Bite‘s watermelon smoothie recipe.
- Japanese farmers, in an effort to maximize refrigerator space, created SQUARE watermelons!!! While watermelons are still growing, they’re placed inside square, glass cases. The watermelons grow into the space and shape provided. How cool is that!
- A 268.8 pound watermelon in Hope, Arkansas, was certified by Guinness in 2006 for the world record.
Do you have any stories, trivia, or recipes to share about watermelons?PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.